Consumers and businesses are using their mobile devices more than ever before to connect to everyone and everything around them. From January 2007 through December 2016, AT&T experienced a 250,000% increase in data usage on our network. And, as streaming video continues to become more prominent and new apps and services are introduced, this growth in data usage will continue to rise.
With this increased demand and pressure on the mobile network, AT&T is thinking of innovative ways to enhance our network, prepare for 5G network deployment and provide the best possible experience for our customers.
AT&T is proposing legislation that will:
- Address the permitting, installation, and operation of a “small wireless facility” which could include a small cell facility or a distributed antenna system.
- Expedite the process for the installation of small wireless facilities to speed the deployment of advanced wireless services, such as 5G, to customers.
- Expand current law to include access to municipally-owned structures that can support small cell wireless facilities.
- Specify the terms under which a small wireless facility operator may construct a facility in a municipal right of way.
- Direct municipalities to permit attachments by a small wireless facility operator to a wireless support structures under non-discriminatory rates, fees, terms, and conditions. Such rates and fees shall allow only cost recovery related to the use of the structure.